Passenger carrying buses are classifies based on:
1)Distance traveled by the vehicle
2)Capacity of the vehicle
3)Shape and Style of the vehicle
1.Distance travelled by the vehicle:
1. MINI BUS:
- It should have a seating capacity upto 25.
- It built on light duty truck chassis.
- It has front mounted engine and rear axle drive.
- It has soft and comfort suspension.
- It has reasonably comfortable seat.
- It has fairly small entry platforms.
- These buses are used for a short distance of about 20kms.
- They are provided with large number of standing places two places, wide doors with large entry and exit platform and hard seats covered with durable plastic materials.
- These buses are used for a distance of about 40 to 50 kms. They usually have reasonably comfortable seats.
- Fairly small entry platform for the extra space can be used for luggage and extra standing passengers.
- Usually one door is sufficient for this type of operation.
4.Long Distance Coaches
- These buses are used for a distance of about 200 kms and above. They have comfortable seats with under floor luggage space and roof racks for large items of luggage.
- For longer distance touring coaches, very comfortable reclining seats are used.
- Toilets, air conditioners, TV,etc are provided.
- Additional windows in the roof are used to improve visibility for the passengers.
- Thermal and acoustic insulation is usually elaborate and spacious luggage compartments are provided under the floor and on the roof
6. Midi bus
A midibus is a classification of single-decker minibuses which are generally larger than a traditional minibus but smaller than a full-size single decker and can be anywhere between 8 metres and 11 metres long.